11 months ago
SENIOR EDITORIAL LAWYER
12 month FTC
The Legal department at a national newspaper outlet is seeking a senior lawyer to work in the editorial legal team advising on content issues.
As Senior Editorial Lawyer you will:
- Provide expert editorial advice
- Exercise sound professional judgment and identify key risks while offering practical advice.
- Work with the legal team in a fast paced environment reporting to the head of department.
The ideal candidate:
- You will ideally be a solicitor or barrister with over 7 years post qualification experience in newsroom and/or newspaper advice
- You have extensive experience advising journalists and editors on pre- publication issues, including libel, privacy, contempt and reporting restrictions and managing complaints and post- publication matters
- You have excellent knowledge of the Editors' Code and strong experience advising on this
- You have strong experience in litigation and reporting restrictions
- You thrive under pressure and enjoy working in a fast paced and demanding newsroom environment
- You are able to analyse complex legal issues, develop strategies and argue points constructively and succinctly
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain and present problems/ issues to others and contribute to their resolution
- You are able to instil trust and confidence among business colleagues and clients.
- You are able to interact positively at all levels as part of a legal department, reporting to the head of department
- You are able to work well unsupervised, demonstrating initiative and the ability to be proactive, while also being able to follow instructions and provide support to the legal team
- You will carry out all responsibilities in a way which supports the company's values and promotes it's high ethical standards and its equal opportunities and diversity principles.
If the above sounds of interest please get in touch today for more information.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.