- Part of the country leadership team
- Play a significant role as part of a growing regional business
- Established natural resources multinational with expansion plans for Asia
Our client is an established natural resources player with a strong regional presence across Asia Pacific. A rare opportunity is available for a senior lawyer to be based in Kuala Lumpur, to oversee and lead key projects and transactions for the region. You will have strong transactional experience, especially in energy, natural resources and infrastructure.
- Ensure legal and risk issues associated with proposed commercial strategies and contracts are raised in a timely manner with the Malaysia commercial / management teams and are understood by all relevant stakeholders so that effective measures to mitigate/control such risks can be put in place;
- Oversight of contractual commitments, ensuring there is an appropriate balance between risk management and the business' commercial objectives;
- Ensure legal structures for regional strategies are appropriately rolled out and executed at local level (e.g. local law versions of regional dealer agreements are appropriately rolled out).
- Implementation of legislation, policies and guidelines, in order to ensure that the companies comply with numerous and complex laws and regulations of the countries in which they operate and to minimize the legal risk.
- Responsible for the negotiation, drafting and review of various types of contracts
- Provide in-house legal advice and support for all matters of business and commercial dealing, including (but not limited to) investments, divestments, financings, mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Resolve legal conflicts and claims with third parties
- Responsible for managing and supervision of external counsel
- Provide legal advice and other legal support in the area of corporate governance, other areas of law and compliance to the management.
- Initiate and conduct internal legal and regulatory seminars on relevant topics for the business
- Malaysian legal knowledge and expertise, specifically relating to energy and natural resources, regulatory framework for corporations;
- Transactional experience (mergers & acquisitions, private equity, project development, financing);
- Strong written and oral communication in English;
- Strong written and oral communication in Bahasa Malaysia;
- An understanding of complex commercial transactions and structures
- Knowledge of company law and corporate secretarial matters in relation to project and investment companies in Malaysia.
- Admitted to practice in a jurisdiction in Malaysia with at least 10-15 years post qualification experience in a top tier legal firm or in a large international corporate environment.
To comply with local laws, our Singapore office EA Licence No is: 17S8475.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.